Thursday, July 15, 2010

Since I don't have cable TV, I don't watch TV.

Pretty simple, no?

Since I don't watch current TV, I  can't really tell you anything about any show that is on right now. If it happend to be on ten years ago, I might have caught. Generally speaking, I don't really care about what is on the telly, because I have my head stuck in a book... and probably no popular, non interesting, non fun books that you hate, too.




I know that there are lots of good things out there, and lots and lots of bad things, too. But who am I to judge that? My favorite movie of all time is Conan the Barbarian, ffs. And I love the eighties.

There.

I said it.

Bring back big hair and new wave! Bring back Mtv! Bring back androgyny!

Also, if I like a show, it will die. This is a true and factual statement. (This also happens to bands that I love.)



Case in point: Dead Like Me (cancelled), BSG (jumped the shark), Pushing Dasies (cancelled), My So Called Life (cancelled), Twin Peaks (cancelled) Firefly (cancelled)... the list goes on and I am tired. But you get the point.

And like the shows I love, terrible, terrible things happen when I make plans to go to concerts!

In 1994, I personally bought tickets to watch a little band called Nirvana. See, I loved Nirvana. I was fifteen. And, like every other band that I have personally bought the tickets for-bought, not given-the lead singer has died. I also killed Jerry Garcia and Bradley Nowell. Sad, but true.



With Nirvana, I got caught smoking on campus, got in serious trouble, ran off, came back, got grounded and had to sell my tickets. Cobain was dead within a couple of months.



With Grateful Dead's Garcia, I bought the tickets, flew in to San Fransisco for the concert and missed the show. He died within weeks.



WithSublime's Nowell, I was planning on seeing them perform when I ran off to California with my boyfriend. We broke up and I never made it out there. Nowell was dead within a couple of months.



Blind Melon front man's Shannon Hoon died shortly after I made plans to see them in concert.



I made plans to go see Michael Bolton with my mother and he lived. It was tragic! (just kidding.. or am I?)



I don't go to concerts anymore. Like, ever. I have been to a few here and there-most of them impromptu. Well, I should say that I don't buy tickets anymore or announce long term plans to see anyone in concert.

Really, it is for the best. If I went to every concert that I ever wanted to go to, the world would be out of great music.

No comments:

Tags

About Me

My photo
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
.

That was then